Since 1891, Mednikow has provided discerning shoppers fine jewelry and watches with unparalleled quality and design. Just as a timepiece represents the person who wears it, the watches in the cases of Mednikow represent the beauty, quality, and imagination that are synonymous with Mednikow. We are pleased to announce that the oldest jewelry establishment in the Mid South has added our brand to their line up of fine wristwatches. Starting in December 2017, you can purchase our Vintage Field Watch in their East Memphis location.
We are pleased to participate in the 2017 Microbrand Meetup in Washington DC on November 19, 2017. The meetup will feature 20+ microbrands and we plan on showcasing our 2nd Edition Vintage Field Watch between 11 am and 4 pm on that Sunday. If you live near Washington DC, please come see us. Juding from last year's events pictures and venue, it should be a great show. Entrance is free to the public and all are encouraged to brign their own timepieces to showcase.
The event will be held at District Architecture Center. See the site for location and directions.
They are finally here. We built the sample set of our 2nd edition Vintage Field Watch. We are very excited about these prototypes. After months of design and development we had assembled the three watches with different dial colors and configurations. The three amigos feature sapphire crystals top and back, newly redesigned two-tone 316L stainless steel cases with see-through caseback, high quality contrast stitched leather straps, logo embossed crown, turning design sub-dial at 9 o'clock, and beautifully polished buckle with our logo.
We are excited to begin field testing these timepieces and ready for the production run of these watches. We would love to hear from you about these. Feel free to comment on our Instagram account (we'll post often) or here.
Today we are introducing an option for you to choose one of the three mechanical movements in your Vintage Field timepiece. You will have a choice of our standard, decorated with Geneva stripes and blued screws ST3600 movement or the black PVD finish ST3600 movement, also decorated with blued screws and Geneva stripes or the original Swiss ETA 6497. Our standard issue caliber has proven itself as a very reliable engine and is beautiful to view through the open caseback. To match the black dial we have an option of the black finish movement which also looks great. Finally, if you prefer the gold standard - you can upgrade to the Swiss version. All are available for a watch build now and until sold out. Thank you.
We have been working on the redesign of our Vintage Field Watch for over a year and I'm very excited to share with you what we have come up with. Since our first edition watch was built from parts that were not designed by us, we have always felt that we needed to develop our own designs. We first started with the dial and, nearly a year ago, published some concepts. We received positive feedback, but instead of trying to fit them into the existing case, we decided to redesign the entire watch. Our goal remained to design the watch that was very much themed after and reflected the spirit of watches worn by soldiers in WW2, such as the Type A-11 produced by the likes of Elgin, Waltham, and Hamilton. While paying tribute to the military heritage, we wanted to upgrade the original designs and create a modern timepiece that functioned well in the field and looked good suited up. We spent time researching extensively the design directions and took cues from many past and contemporary brands - Eterna, Stowa, IWC, Longines, Hamilton, Weiss Watch Company, Oris, Tag Heuer, Elgin, Laco and others.
We spent a lot of time figuring out the design of the new case and then worked on improving the fine details of the dial and hands. After many and many design iterations, we are very pleased to share with you our new Vintage Field Watch. We are excited to bring three new timepieces to market in mid 2017.
The watch will have many premium features found in the high-end mechanical watches but available at a very attractive price point:
- We completely redesigned the case, increasing the diameter of the watch from 41mm to 42mm and thickness from 9.5mm to ~14mm. While the new case will be larger, we think the watch will wear well on any wrist as we worked hard to decrease the thickness of the case walls and bezel. The three piece construction will have a combination of polished and matte finishes.
- We are adding an oversized coin-edged crown for easy winding.
- The double-domed sapphire crystal will be treated with anti-reflective coating; the exhibition caseback, also cased in sapphire glass, will be larger than that of the current model and display gourgeous mechanical movement that we have been working with. At present, we plan to continue to work with Sea Gull movements as they proved to be very reliable.
- We love the simplicity and practicality of our current dial and wanted to build on it, thus spending significant amount of time refining the dial design. It is the gem of the watch - large, clean, simple, practical, yet refined. The polished case bezel will be thinner than that of our first edition watch, which means the opening will be larger, displaying a vast dial canvas. We updated the entire layout, changed the size and placement of the numerals and selected a cleaner but more pronounced font type. We are introducing an oversized contrast colored and slightly sunken-in sub-dial with a turning design. While other practical watches go for minute indicators we are introducing military time indicators by every hour marker. The new dial design will be availabe in three colors: white, black and grey. The black and grey dials will have numerals, markings and hands painted with luminescent paint. We love our tie shape hour and minute hands and will continue to use them in this design.
- As with the first edition, the watch will be available with two straps, a high end calfskin leather for a refined look and a custom made canvas field style strap. We also chose to increase the size of the case lugs to 22mm (from the current 20mm) as we think larger straps will look more refined with this case design.
We are now moving from the design phase to building the molds, individual parts and assembling the prototypes. After the prototypes are tested and refined, we will offer the watches on Kickstarter at an attractive introductory price. We hope that you will choose to fund our project and be one of the first to own the new edition Vintage Field Watch. We put a lot of love and labor in making this timepiece and will ensure that it is of the highest quality. We invite you to follow us on Instagram, sign up for our email or keep checking status here. We anticipate the launch of the project in March 2017 but will refine dates after the prototype phase is complete.
We are happy to announce that a sapphire crystal is now standard on our vintage field watch. Only special edition watches had sapphire crystals before. We were able to add sapphire to our first edition field watch while maintaining the same price for the timepiece.
We have been working on the next version of our Vintage Field watch. We love the simplicity and practicality of the Field Watch but wanted to update the dial, create different color variations as well as try a different movement type. We updated the design of the dial with a cleaner, and more pronounced font type for the numerals and added markings that will be painted in luminescent paint.
We also decided to work on the Automatic version of our watch. Presenting a few dial concepts for a version of the Vintage Field Automatic.
We hope you like our new designs. We plan on working on these dials for the release of the watches by next Christmas.
Yesterday we launched the sale of our watches at our first retail location in Memphis, TN. Memphis Mean Time is the best watch repair and vintage watch shop in the Mid South. Colin Britton and Greg Faison are wonderful watchmakers who also have appreciation for vintage watches and pocketwatches. Our Vintage Field Watch fits right in.
We picked wooden boxes for the display and old letterpress set letters for our logo. As through our online store, each watch will come with a dress type leather band and a field type Cordura strap.
If you are in town please come by their shop and check out our watches.
We just received a batch of beautifully crafted, high quality leather and Cordura watch straps from a US strap manufacturer. We are very pleased to use US made leather straps on our watches. We are going to evaluate these samples and decide which one(s) will be strapped to our Vintage Field Watch when we release the first edition later this month. We are looking at two types of leather, a Cordura and several colors to choose from.
First we have two types of leather that we are evaluating. The oil tan and the distressed oil tan. In the distressed oil tan leather we have three colors to choose from: grey, tan and brown. All have heavy padding and contrast stitching throughout. We personally really like the tan and grey.
In the oil tan option we ordered a brown strap that is heavily padded and features full contrast stitching.
In Cordura (military style fabric with the blend of nylon and cotton) we are reviewing two colors - a grey strap with matching stitching and a khaki strap with matching stitching. This fabric is a high performance fabric that it is two times stronger than regular nylon or cotton. It has been used by the military for over 45 years. The straps are 20mm at lug ends and come down to 18mm at the buckle end. They are lined with a soft leather material.
The buckle for the strap will be polished stainless steel to match the design of our case.
We'd love to hear which design you like. Let us know.